Knowledge exchange on mining and environmental challenges in Nigeria
This week, twelve African countries have gathered in Nigeria to exchange experiences on mining and the environment for two weeks, in an event organized by SGU.
The fifth course in PanAfGeo WP4 "Environmental Management of Mines" has just started in Abuja, Nigeria. The aim is to exchange knowledge on mining and the environment between European and African authorities. Participants from twelve African countries work together to solve challenges related to environmental, economic and social sustainability in mining:
Some of the topics included:
- The regional legal framework
- Rehabilitation and closure of mines
- Assessment of the environmental impact of mining activities
- Small-scale mining and the environment
- Acid Mine Drainage and Waste Management
- Hydrogeology, water and mines
- Mercury and cyanide in gold mines
- Public participation, sustainability and post-mining projects.
The event was officially opened by NGSA, the ministry for mining and steel development and The Swedish embassy in Nigeria. The initiative is organised by SGU within the PanAfGeo project and funded by EU och IGF (Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals and Sustainable Development).
Senast granskad: 2019-04-05